Monday 19 September 2011

I am amongst the richest of men

Tim, Cathy, Dan and Ben- all Ebenezer Public School students, 1986
















For my children –Daniel, Catherine, Benjamin and Timothy- and for my wife, Diana, the source of all my wealth.

There once was a time when I was poor,
When my house was dim and empty,
When wind rattled through my empty vaults
With a bleak insistent constancy.

But I am amongst the richest of men,
My vault has wealth untold,
My treasury is full of sparkling things
And I dwell in a palace of gold.

My wealth is based on four unique pillars,
From one quarry cut but standing discretely,
And now I declare that I love each one
Completely, fervently and equally.

Did I once fear that this wealth must leave
And the cold, empty wind could blow again?
No! Time has wrought the hoped-for change;
This wealth -my children-  have become my friends.

For my wealth is not in things that rust,
Or moth can corrupt, or thief can steal,
For I am rich in care, hope and love,
In all the deep things the heart can feel.

So I care little for success or fame,
Or for any trinkets for which men lust.
Compared to the things in which I am rich
They are not much more than worthless dust.

So I am amongst the richest of men,
My vault has wealth untold,
My treasury is full of sparkling things
And I dwell in a palace of gold.

Ben, Cathy, Dan and Tim, I think around 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment